POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.animations : IMBJR Flood : Re: IMBJR Flood Server Time
20 Jul 2024 21:16:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: IMBJR Flood
From: IMBJR
Date: 27 Aug 2000 05:13:57
Message: <39a8dbd5@news.povray.org>
Chris Huff wrote in message ...
>In article <39a846ee@news.povray.org>, "IMBJR" <imb### [at] imbjrcom> wrote:
>
>> Mmm, it is because it works by the NTTP protocol - which makes it usenet.
>
>No, it isn't. That just makes it a news server, it is not part of the
>Usenet network.

The only reason I think you can hold on to that view is that this news
server has a set of pretty unique newsgroups on it. Plus I believe the POV
news admin people I have trouble in the past from keeping this server
isolated; rogue duplicates of the groups have appeared out in the "wild".
I'm sure that with a little mucking about, I could cross-post this message
to any other non-POV news groups. You are only seperated by a very thin
membrane. Is it this isolationist attitude that explains the reaction I'm
getting? A reaction that has so far reduced one person to forge my identity
and post a "Confession" to alt.binaries.slack. Needless to say, that
person's
ISP recieved a complaint.

>> It's not private, you don't even need an account to access it. It is a
>> public news server that is a part of Usenet.
>
>It *IS* private, and is *NOT* part of Usenet. Look at your headers:

Here is part of what I think you are refering to:

Only the first line is of a type I do not have in my headers in posts to
these groups. I assume some prior arrangement with the POV news admin team
lets you do that - or have you inserted it yourself for reasons of
demarcation? I cannot see how they make this not part of Usenet in the
general sense.

>and may NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.
>
>This is placed on every article posted here. The message "Welcome To the

Yeah! I've got those too. Any other news servers like to insert other types
of header, just like regular Usenet.

>POV-Ray News Groups" deals with this, specifically the section titled
>"News Server Acceptable Use Policy". There is also a message with that
>same title, "News Server Acceptable Use Policy", which has more
>information. One relevant quote from that post:
>"We also wish to remind you that this is a privately owned news server
>and as such you are considered an invited guest."

Yes, it is privately owned (like virtually all news servers: commercially,
academically, or even as a hobby) - it is not private though. It still forms
part of the general usenet community.

>> I must admit I was not aware of such guidelines. Please post them for
>> me so I know what they are instead of just hearing of them
>> second-hand. Not that I don't trust you, it's just a matter of
>> interpretation.
>
>Just read the messages in povray.announce.frequently-asked-questions.
>They cover many of these issues.

Cheers.

>> Well, not to cast myself as some sort of Lord of POV, if that was the
>> case then there's a lot of learning to be done by the good people who
>> post here.
>> Most of it appears to be experiments that people are trying out or
>> Works-in-Progress - neither are what I would describe as best work.
>
>Hmm, I guess I didn't express myself very clearly, sorry...

I am too. I just realised I'm posting this to the animations group when I
was thinking of the stills group.

>What I meant was: people don't typically post every thing they render,
>and pick out the best images for their web site. When they post works in
>progress or experiments, they do so for feedback: comments, suggestions,
>etc. If they have a large number of images, they usually put up a
>gallery, or just upload the images somewhere and provide direct links to
>them.

I didn't post everything I have rendered. There are pieces I have that I did
not think fit for the group - though they have been posted on other groups
previousy.

>> I must admit I do not read the text that comes with binaries, well
>> not today at any rate as I was attempting to download a considerable
>> quantity of the posts and could not read each one, only view its
>> attachment.
>
>If you are downloading all the articles, I can understand why you don't
>read all of them. :-)

There were so many my image viewer choked!